Saturday, February 28, 2009

a neat lady

I have, over the past few months, become friends with a really neat old lady. She's about 70 and has a very active and inquisitive mind. I started teaching her to play the guitar a couple of months ago, and she's kicking ass at it. She is playing "House of the Rising Sun", and she figured out how to transpose it to other keys on her own. When she first started, I played my fingerstyle arrangement for her and she swore she'd never be able to do it. Ok she's got the chords and is real close to being able to pick through it. She gets a fistbump and a hellyeah. She memorized the string names to "Every Awesome Dude Goes Bonkers Early". And we sing "House of the Rising Sun" with the Gilligan's Island theme song words. And then we just laugh til we cry because we're crackin ourselves up.

"Mama Weer All Crazy Now" is a scream when you play it all fingerpickin/folky style.

I had left a damaged but still totally playable Spanish classical guitar at her house for her grandson to goof off on and then she brought it out one day and started asking me about it. Her grandson has a mean rhythm hand. He is on it. He's 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment