Saturday, April 26, 2008

more on multiplying

its not for any ethical or idealogical reason that my smart half and i don't have kids.

I babysat when I was a kid for spending money, kids of all ages, 6-month-olds to second graders. All that pretty much rubbed out any desire for kids I might have had. That desire has never returned.

I see people getting batty about wanting kids, and I guess I'm wired up all funny because I don't understand why. I lack the mommy gene or something.

When I do think about it, having a kid of my own, I come to the conclusion that I would be an inattentive, probably selfish, possibly resentful parent.

I like kids. I like to teach kids stuff, but wouldn't want to be an actual teacher because it doesn't seem like teachers are allowed to teach much anymore. I know a teacher who had a class of fifth graders that didn't know about primary and secondary colors and that red and blue make purple. Raise your hand if you knew that by second grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment