Monday, May 12, 2008

py and the vet. again.

Had to run Py up to our wonderful vet (no, really, she is a wonderful vet. I'm happy her office is two blocks away) because he was acting strangely on Saturday. Walking loopy, whizzing where he should not, not very social, not eating much, just generally looking ill. I noticed the odd behavior on Friday evening and got him in as soon as I could, and it was *sudden* strangeness. Not something that came over the course of a couple of days. Just one day normal, the next day not normal at all.

Py is 11. He has been at the vet since Saturday morning. They had not been able to ferret out exactly what is wrong with him. I just talked to the vet and they were finally able to get a urine sample from him, which showed evidence of a UTI, so they are treating that. But he also showed, when she called me back Saturday afternoon, that his blood sugar levels were sky high (350. Cats have a similar levels to humans, with average being around 150), his potassium was low, and a couple of other things that now I can't remember. Blood cells doing things they should not, things like that.

She thinks he may be diabetic. :( Which brings me and the Smart Half to the question of when do we stop treatment? And when we do, should we let him go naturally, which could be so awful, or have him euthanized before it gets to that point?

So we will be going up there today to see him and talk to the vet and look at options and all that stuff. I would hate to lose him, and we have never hesitated to care for our little four-legged guys, but this could easily and quickly balloon beyond what we can afford. And I would have to wonder about the quality of life for a cat already old and then having to give him insulin daily, which affects some other things apparently. Not that I wouldn't do it, of course, but I wouldn't want him to not feel good or be in pain. I want our guys to be happy and comfy and live to a ripe old age, of course.

We also have two other old cats (one 14 and one 15) and one who is just not very bright and caring for them is also something we have to consider when we're paying for Py's problem.

What to do.
What to do.

I guess I'll start by reading about caring for a diabetic cat and then go on from there.

I'm so sad, though. It's been a rough year for our guys so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment